Friday, August 08, 2008

Virginia

First things first, my current address is:

1801 DeWitt Ave, Unit E
Alexandria, VA
22301



Also, many thanks for the lovely cards, e-greetings (via facebook or otherwise), and packages that have accompanied my birthday. It's been great!

Traveling

Early on the morning of August 1, Dad and I set off on a great adventure. We began with Dad commenting on the fact that I hadn't showered that morning. My logic was, as always, impeccable: there's no point in me showering if I am going to be sweaty and nasty by the time I show up!

Our route was pretty straightforward, and was quite pretty. I-70 through Ohio was a beautiful prairie dawn. Further east, the seemingly unending hours on the Pennsylvania Turnpike offered some truly fantastic views -- immense gorges, infinite acres of green trees, hundreds of miles between rest stops, etc.

Unfortunately there are no pictures of any of this. However, this is probably a good thing since my truck was handling so poorly under the additional tonnage of all my worldly possessions that it would have been well-nigh impossible to use a camera and stay on the road. All loaded down, Bucephalus did look like the Beverly Hillbillymobile, which made me happy. It was a real trick to stay about 65mph when going up hills, though.

We relied partially on our wits and natural sense of direction to get us there. I stuck my nose out the window, using my superhuman senses to track my way towards Virginia. Dad, ever the woodsman, would stop occasionally and inspect the trees and undergrowth in order to find out exact location, and the direction we should go from there. The Garmin GPS unit was also very important.

We had no problems in our journey until we neared D.C. proper, where we were hindered by poor road design and bad traffic. Finally, we appeared in Alexandria, in our finery. The total trip time was about 11 hours.

Moving

The moving and unpacking process was relatively painless. By the time we had arrived, Claire's stuff had been unpacked and put away. In short order, my things were brought up and the apartment was filled with new boxes.

Over the next day-or-so, the boxes disappeared. Claire's family (and friend) were invaluable in helping us get things set up for habitation. Though Dad could not stay the whole weekend, he did me the huge favor of setting up my brand-spankin' new shelves. They look fantastic.

By Saturday evening, 95% of the boxes were gone and the apartment has reached what may be considered it's final form.

Virginia Apartment: Awesome

---

By request, here are more pictures of Tenzing, the Puppy.
Tenzing

No comments: