Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Oh Yes, The Interviews

The first week in August I had two interviews -- that's right, real-live in-person interviews -- for jobs in the DC area.

The first was with SAIC, specifically with an independent group within the company, part of which is currently doing the communications for PEO Soldier, the group which does procurement for the Army.

The second was for a grant writing position with PlanetAid, a group which deals in clothes donations.

The SAIC interview went pretty well, although I got the impression that I might not have the level of experience they were looking for.

The PlanetAid interview did not go well. It took me two hours to get to the interview, because of traffic and bad directions. I was slightly late, but I got the impression from the conversation that it wouldn't have mattered if I came in on time. It was made clear to me that they were not interested in an untested grant writer, although they did suggest that I could be brought on as a "misc. copy writer." However, that discussion was also pretty fruitless because of the 4-hour round trip commute. To be honest, I am not interested in that much driving, and I don't think they are either.

I am still sort of in touch with some people at SAIC, and there might be more developments on that front.

---

I am more disappointed then I sound, but I know I have to keep trying.

I am still sending out many, many applications (several unsolicited resumes as well) but have decided to venture a few steps down The Dark Path.

The previously alluded "Dark Path" is where I start writing articles and shopping them around to magazines and newspapers. It is the beginning of Freelance Writing. While I like to imagine that such a career involves being either a grizzled, lovable rogue or a noble knight clad in shining armor, I suspect that the reality might be...something else.

To be clear: I am still looking for a full-time job. However, with so many (understandable) concerns about my experience and work history, I figure it would be prudent to pad the resume and try to make some money.

---

If you've been following my Twitterings, you'll notice that I did some traveling this past weekend.

I flew out to Prince Edward Island, the location of Claire's family reunion. This involved her mother's family, who gather at different locations every year. PEI, as it is called, is especially beloved since it was where Claire's grandmother was raised during the depression (as I am told).

Take a look at it here. PEI photos to follow, but this is already much too long.

No comments: