Monday, August 25, 2008

Top O' The Morning

For the first time since I got cable, I am not furious at MSNBC. It tuns out that when there is something actually going on, and real issues to talk about, these guys aren't so bad!

Maybe I'll warm up to CNN or FOX? Probably not.

---

Skeletons of cartoon characters. This is so cool.

---

Bob Thompson from the Washington Post discovers comics! Holy crap!

What bothers me the most about the article, and the responses from those interviewed, is that everyone is acting like comics just appeared out of nowhere. Ostensibly, this is because Thompson is interested in the elusive "Graphic Novel," but there is a whole history of comics that begins before graphic novel.

Everyone is acting like it's a shock that comics are popular, not remembering that Superman made a mint back in the 30's, and that comics didn't hit hard times until the 70's.

Lastly, I think it's silly to draw distinctions between graphic novels and collections of single issues. Most collections end up being organized by story arcs, so there is no reason to consider them as something less than a "graphic novel." Crime and Punishmen, and oodles of Dickens were written as serial magazine pieces -- we still call them novels!

All in all it's a pretty good article, and I am glad to see so much attention given to a great medium. My favorite bit is Scott McCloud answering why comics are so popular these days:

"Comics. Got. Better."

I think he might be right; I think the last decade has seen some truly amazing stuff.

---

Have you heard of Okami? I am told it is a great game. I bought it for the Wii sometime ago, but I haven't played it yet. Why? Because I promised myself I wouldn't until I had a job.

Anyway, CAPCOM used art from IGN.com for the cover and just now got around to issuing replacements. They look pretty awesome.

No comments: