Wednesday, February 28, 2007

This Is Now The Blog About Blogging

[Edit: Man, this post is really boring. I'll do better next time.]

As some may have noticed, I've started to step-up the whole blogging thing. The way I figure it, it's probably good for me. True, it does take up some of my time - and with school pressures and what not, that might not be such a great idea. However, I retort thus:

Firstly, it forces me to write. I enjoy writing, and it's something that I really want to pursue. Who knows, maybe even try to make a career out of it (one way or another). My good friend Keith, who is much wiser than me, once told me that if you want to write then you need to make time to do it. In the sense of everyday. I may not be pulling off everyday, but Im at least doing something.

Secondly, as anyone who knows me can attest I am not the most organized of people. The idea of having a deadline and trying to stick to it might just form some of those good habits that I keep hearing about. So far, it's working alright as an experiment in self-discipline. Most days I get the posts finished on time, but I haven't gotten to the point where I have worked ahead and proof what I blog. Hopefully, that will change. I've started to get into the habit of working ahead, writing smaller not so great posts that I keep around as a buffer. With any luck, this buffer will evolve into a system for creating quality, finished material.

On the subject of blogging, I've been experimenting with new ways to blog. Nothing to crazy yet, I've got some cool ideas that have yet to be realized but they'll have to wait. For those of you that are of age and don't mind the occasional poop joke, some of these new ideas might just come to fruition when we launch the Gargoyle 3.0 site. Anyway, lately I've been playing around with blogging clients.
A 'blogging client' is an application which I use to write and post to the web. For a long time Journler was my client of choice. I could do all my writing in Journler, which stores all the scraps and makes them searchable. Its main convenience was the ability to post to multiple blogs. I could write something for TalkingEds, Alive and Kicking and LiveJournal accounts and manage all the posting from Journler.
However, the update of Blogger has left Journler looking ragged about the edges. It can't handle dealing with the new Blogger system and has no support of tagging posts - a handy method of organization that I've tried to employ into my posts.
I gave Ecto and Marsedit a spin, but both were just not playing nice with blogger and neither seemed willing to play nice with tags.
So Im sticking with Journler - for now.
But I do need a change.

There's been some rumblings via email and comments that people want to learn about viking longships. Viking longships are totally awesome, and I am working on a little something to share for all interested parties.

In the meantime, I must ready myself for my journey to Indiana.
(Leaving Ann Arbor: Wed. Morning)
(Leaving West Lafayette: Sat. Morning)

No comments: