Monday, February 19, 2007

I Like To Toss Things

I've got another paper due Wednesday that I have started working on. Claire's been sick all weekend and I've been taking care of her. Put 'em together, and I've been a busy bee. Non-stop run-around since Friday night, at least.
Please accept this humble filler post, prepared for just such an emergency.

[x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x]

The other day I was standing in the shower, like you do, washing my hair. Being a totally hot dude, this kind of a problem since I have wash some serious footage of hair. This leads to really long showers, simply based on necessity. I also take forever because I wake up freezing every morning. I honestly feel like I receive all my body heat for the day from the showers I take in the morning. Which - of course - results in even longer showers. I need to recharge my heated core! It's vital!
So, Im taking this 1,000ÂșC shower, getting ready for my day, and I bend over and pick up the shampoo bottle by it's cap. Then, I did something amazing. I deftly flicked my wrist and released the bottle into mid air for a fraction of a second. At more or less the time the bottle was loosing all it's upward momentum and was on the cusp of being pulled tub-ward, I grabbed the bottle at it's center. I did this for a better grip before dispensing it's cleansing goo. I do this all the time, and not just with shower goo bottles! When I was in marching band, way back in High School, I would do the same trick with my clarinet to get a better grip. Everyday, I whip my cellphone out in the same manner. I hardly ever drop it.
I heard on NPR that famed soccer playing "BECKEM" (or some such thing) performs thousands of calculations in seconds to be able to intercept a flying soccer ball with his head, and send it in for a goal. This involves differential equations, which anyone who is taken higher math than me (which is apparently everyone) can tell you are very hard. Some of the first computers were contracted by the US Defense Dept. to calculate firing tables utilizing differential equations, basically so that the allies could win the war. At least that's what they tell me in my Computers in Literature class.
Anyway, humans do really hard math instinctively and for the most part we do it really, really well. Ever watch those videos of dudes bouncing off walls like theirs something wrong with em'? Yeah. Thats some heavy physics, dudes.
As I was standing in the shower, marveling at my abilities, I wondered 'was this all learned? Did I work all this out as a baby or was I born with these instincts?' Of course, I have no idea what the answer is, but while washing out the conditioner, I had another thought: 'what if a baby was taken to another planet that had similar gravity, but not exactly the same, as our own planet. Would the kid be able to do these neat tricks? Or would his DNA, hard-wired to thousands of years on Earth be unable to cope?'

Still, I have no idea.

We need someone to find a planet and volunteer a baby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's Bekham. I know this because of the movie, "Bend it Like Beckham" and the fact that he is an International Being now, not unlike Zaphod B. Is or was married to one of the Spice Girls.

What does it mean if you try to do those things and are constantly dropping the soap in the tub or missing the hamper by five feet? Can we correlate that with a decline in math skills? O G*d, I'll bet it's true.