Sunday, June 20, 2010

Cheating

Right now, I am snug and cozy on the couch of Jenny -- a friend from College and GargAlum. She has been the most gracious of hosts, and I am grateful for it after the long slog it took to get here. I'm in Nebraska, a state I have visiting twice before. Both of those times, I was headed to where I am going tomorrow: Colorado.

However, tomorrow I will be boarding a plane to get there.

For me, it feels like cheating. Part of the reason I took this trip was to do it on the cheap and to stick to buses to see America pass by me. But I just got off of a 20+ hour ride this afternoon, and would be staring down the barrel of at least another 10 hours (more likely 16-20) to get to foot of the Rocky mountains. Right now, I just can't do that.

It would be one thing if it were my last big trek, but it isn't by a long shot. The trip from Colorado to San Francisco is over 30 hours, the train takes just about as long, and the flight is more than I am willing to throw down. Also, it's a cheap flight and a very short trip.

So I am cheating.

I feel bad about doing so. I feel like it's not in the spirit of this adventure, and that I'm not living up to my promise I made to myself when I stepped out of Virginia: do this and have fun, but be smart about it. And when I said that, I was thinking primarily of personal safety and bank accounts.

But getting to Colorado does put me in a good and flexible position for the final leg of my trip. Also, it means a nice respite before the longest ride of the trip. And right now, I think I need that. I've loved my trip but the long, dark, quiet nights in the buses aren't just hard on my back. I need to see more friends, take it easy, and lighten my heart before I get back on the Greyhound.

I'm looking at a no-transfers straight shot from Denver to San Francisco, and I am looking forward to being ready to make that trip.

2 comments:

lightstheway said...

by your logic, then, isn't the "cheating" MORE in the spirit of the trip that you started with? by having fun and being smart about it--wouldn't that mean taking a plane when it is super-cheap and the bus is just not, not, not, not, not fun anymore?

Adam said...

Maybe I'm just rationalizing for you but I'd have thought that a great deal of this trip would be living with the unplanned and rolling with the punches.

In fact that sounds like the kind of trip in which the only cheating would be to stick judiciously to the plan.