Saturday, January 27, 2007

I Am Upset With Apple

As many of you are no doubt aware, I have been having been difficulty with my computer as of late. It all began with my screen, which had taken to a kind of artistic streak whereby it would display completely insane mish-mash of insanity, the quality of which would give any "video artist" worth their skin a run for their money.

After a week of procrastination and frustration I finally dropped off the poor dear at the Apple Store. They declared that there was something very wrong with the video card, and told me that for $320 they would replace anything that was wrong with the sucker. It would take 7-10 days, during which time my computer would be shipped off to fashionable Texas to be worked on by a fat man named Paul - the kind of man who wears a polo shirt to work.

Three days later, I was told I could come pick up my laptop! I was overjoyed, to say the least! As I wafted in through the front of the 12 Oaks Mall Apple Store (there were no doors) I passed the new MacBooks which I had so recently been coveting with a slight feeling of disdain. My computer was allegedly as good as new and it was mine again.

I should have sensed that something was up when they booted the machine after informing me that the Logic Board had been replaced. During the boot cycle, the 'Oh Crap I Lost The Operating System' icon flashed for a few seconds before it booted normally. Curious.

The long and the short of this part of the story is that I took the sucker home and was tickled pink for about a day or two. However, I noticed that everything was running rather slowly. Oddly slowly. I didn't think much of it, but while checking for some unrelated information, I noticed that the computer had somehow convinced itself that there was only 256mb of RAM onboard.

'Huh,' I thought. "It was 1.25gb when I sent it off...'

I tried a few tricks, and roamed around the support section of Apple's website and finally called Kris - who is my number one lady in most concerns. She hypothesized that when my Logic Board was removed, that the RAM went with it and may have taken up permanent residence in Texas. This is bad.

Methinks another trip to the Apple Store is in store for myself and my computer machine o' tron.

UPDATE: Ok, now the sound doesn't work. I am officially upset.

No comments: