Saturday, January 20, 2007

An Astounding Review

Having now seen 1.9 Operas in their entirety, I now consider myself a well educated Opera expert.
That said, the Lyric Opera of Chicago's production of 'Die Fleidermaus' is the greatest thing to be put to stage since Shakespeare said, "Tell you what, this 'Hamlet' thing has been going on for hours, why don't we just kill them all?"

No, seriously. It's totally fantastic. Unlike during 'Cosi Fan Tutti,' I was not only awake for the entire performace (3 acts, two intermissions, 3.5 hours in length), but rapt with attention. The music is all in the style of lilting Viennese Waltzes (it is Johann Strauss) and - get this - it's actually funny. And I don't mean in a sort of 'hu hu! Snobbery Humorous!' but in a true belly-waving laughter kind of funny.
I loved every minute of it, and seeing a really top-notch production in "one of the most famous Opera houses in the world" was fantastic.

Claire and I are safe here in Evanston, and we'll be heading back to the great state of Ann Arbor on Sunday Early. Tomorrow we plan to do homework and spend some serious time ambling.

Also, I did quite a bit of driving in, around, and through some of Chicago's most convoluted road ways. I will, of course, make no claims to Gary Ratner's prestigious "City Guy" title, but I will say that Claire and I make a right good team in the navigation department. Perhaps 'City Duo?'

I'd also like to point out that this Barker woman is really moving me up the cultural ladder. During the drive over we listened to a good solid hour of P.G. Wodehouse, followed by a tour of some Anglican buildings, and then an Opera! I feel just like a character in 'Fraiser,' or something.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

She's right! We love masterpiece theatre, and themed cocktail parties held at Italian villas.

We only partake of the highest cultural achievements of mankind - champagne, caviar, faust.

We also have no connection to These Low-brow folk.