Friday, May 05, 2006

First Week - O - Work

Im coming up on completing my first week of work, and it's been quite a time.
Oh, that's right: Im employed. Workin' 40 hour weeks at the historic Inglis house. It's a really awesome looking place built by the cash-through-the-nose Inglis' in the 1920's, modeled after a British manor house, and then given to the University of Michigan in more modern times.
The works is great. A lot less strenuous than my last grounskeeping job, and a lot more involved. For example, I spent most of my time at Avon Hills digging holes. At Inglis, I have spent most of my time (so far) doing real groundswork. Raking, cultivating, weeding and the like. It's been quite a learning experience! The work crew and the two ladies in charge are great and it's shaping up to be a dandy looking job.
The only downside is the hours, I have to be on the job at 7am, and its about a 25min walk, so I'm usually up at 6am.
I'll try to get some pictures posted because the grounds are beautiful! There are even some pretty rare wildflowers in some spots of the property (white trillium, plains trillium,  etc.) besides the place just looking generally fantastic.
Even though I have only worked there 3 days, I have already managed to get injured on the job. At some point yesterday my ear got scratched or stung or something and now it is all swollen. It was still bad today, so at my boss' behest I went in to the Hospital. The doctor-lady believes it to be an infection and not a reaction, but just to be safe she gave me Benodril (aka. all nighter in a can (eg. it makes you real sleepy)) and some kind of antibiotic. Hopefully it will clear up soon because it's kinda touchy and hideous to behold!

2 comments:

Rachel Marie said...

heh. i'm guessing from the amount of typos that you're on some Benadryl right now. :P

Unknown said...

Yes, I probably was.
Were there really that many typos?