Sunday, May 28, 2006

90º

It's at least 90 degrees outside, and about 83 inside. Saints preserve us, it's hot! It's the hottest day of 2006, and I am adamently hoping that this is going to be the hottest that it ever gets, but I know that's foolhardy at best.
I went and saw Art School Confidential yesterday. I knew only two things about the movie going into it. 1. That its made by the same guy that directed Ghost World, and based off a comic by the same guy that did Ghost World. 2. I've heard that the comic is a pretty accurate depiction of real art school life.
In general, the film was alright. It took the standard teen-movie formula and gave it an interesting twist. However, I have a few complaints. First, the movie seemed to drag after it's initial opening. Secondly, I had little or no connection with the characters. The love interest was just too distant for me to be attached, and the main character too dumb for me to even believe. Now, I think I have some idea of where these problems are springing from. This is usually the case when a long work is adapted for a single two-hour film.
That's my quick and dirty assessment of the flick.
I must go now, and eat shrimp.

5 comments:

Mylz said...

mmmmmm... twas good shrimp, that was. *BELCH*

Anonymous said...

It was directed by the guy who directed "Crumb", the Art Crumb documentary. Terry, Terry Starts with a Z, think

But how did you cook the shrimp?

You did cook them, didn't you?

Frogstar said...

He's brilliant. Ghost World is one of my favorite movies :X

Anonymous said...

Sniff to thinking the main character was dumb...that is totally my approach...though not necessarily the right one...

Unknown said...

1. I did not cook the Shrimp. Seafood courtesey of Jamie.

2. The Robert Crumb documentary was kind of creepy - I really did not need EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY SUSPICIONS ABOUT HIS PRIVATE LIFE CONFIRMED.

3. I haven't seen Ghost World - it's on the list of movies I need to see.

4. When comparing the two, I am having a hard time telling whether I liked the new X-Men movie better than Art School Confidential. Is this a bad sign?