Saturday, December 26, 2009

My Christmas Miracle

From MarsEdit Images
As demonstrated in a previous post, I've had some troubles traveling this year. This is what happened:

After the previously blogged events, I stayed on the floor of DCA until 2am. At which time I was told that tomorrow I'd fly to Boston and get a connecting flight to Detroit. That was fine; I just wanted to get off the floor. They also offered me a hotel, but I'd have to take a cab. Since that was the case, I opted to just go home.

The cab got me home at 2:20am, and I was in bed asleep ten minutes later.

At 5am, the alarm went off and I was in DCA by 5:48am. I was slap happy and loopy. Words were hard to find, and my balance was somewhere between "humpty dumpty" and "drunken sailor."

Of course, I knew it wouldn't be easy. The ticket agent took one look at the piece of paper I had received the night before and started shaking his head. "Oh, no," he said. He went on to explain the myriad of reasons why it wouldn't work.

30minutes, 3 people, and one call to Jasmie on the help line did not raise my spirits. I still smiled and continued my exhausted politeness, but I had no idea what to do. I couldn't drive on two hours of sleep; there'd be no way I could make it by Christmas.

That's when my Christmas miracle happened. Somehow, I was booked on a direct flight from DCA to DTW. I don't know how, I fear some poor soul was bumped or otherwise inconvenienced to make it happen. But there was a ticket in my hand!

And so I arrived, well in time for Christmas. Despite everything, I did make it here. Topping that, was the fact that despite the incredible wackiness with my trip the entire staff of U.S. Airways worked to take care of and compensate me.

At this moment I'm in a car headed for Indiana, and grateful to be with my family (at last).

No comments: