Monday, December 21, 2009

Arrival is the End

As you can surmise, I made it easily to Virginia. On reflection Ot probably went faster yesterday than any othe time I can recall. Without anyone on the roads I wizzed through four states until I finally got back to the NCR.

Speaking as a person from Michigan, this storm was pretty bad. The snow drifts are big enough to lose your kid in, and the gridwork of streets that make up my neighborhood haven't seen a lot of love from the snow plows.


This is like my winter dreams from childhood. We always would get a lot of snow, but this is a special thing that drives a city into its collective bunny slippers.


The roads are ice. Thick ice, going down near two inches in some areas.


Though it was predicted, everyone still seems surprised at the state of things. Even these chairs seem kind of dumbfounded.

The whole experience has been good for my local image as a rustbelter, experienced in the ways of economic decline, losing sports teams, and bad weather. I think that's difference between midwesterners and the east coast folk. Michigan folk never seemed to have any secret tricks for surviving snow storms, they just accepted whatever blew in. Snow always comes, as surely as trouble always comes. No sense in getting upset and running off to stock up on eggs when the weather man is grave; we'll get through this as we have so many other times.




Location:E Duncan Ave,Alexandria,United States

No comments: