Monday, March 02, 2009

What I Want You To Take Away From This Is That I Have Not Been Fired

It's been a rough month, here on DeWitt, and I apologize for the lack of updating.
Claire's schooling has become increasingly time consuming. We both knew this would be a rough semester, but it only recently reached an apex of difficulty. To ease the situation, I've been picking up some of Claire's duties -- mainly, giving the dog a morning walk. The upside of all of this is that Claire will finish her MA in two years, as opposed to the two years +1 summer term recommended by the school.
The downside is that we've been extremely busy. The past few weeks have felt very "rat race:" I get up in the morning, I walk the dog, I go to work, I come home after dark, do dinner, and then have about an hour before I go to bed. I can't say I've been in the best of moods, so it's probably for the best that I was staying off the Blog Horse. That is, unless you want to read a bunch of "OH, WOE IS ME"-isms.
---

As you may have gleaned from Twitter, I have moved out of the McLean offices of SAIC. From today until June, I'll be operating out of a cubicle at Ft. Belvoir. So:

I have not been sacked.
I have not been promoted.
I have not joined the Army.

Although that guy I met in the elevator while I was leaving McLean with my office in a box probably does think I got fired. Oh well!
Hopefully, Belvoir will be a shorter commute. But with all the security and driving through the base, I am not sure.
---

This morning was meant to be Day 01 at Belvoir, but that's in question now. I scoffed at last night's Winter Storm warning -- they issue those things for a few flurries. However, the 4" of snow and more coming down gave me pause this morning. In Michigan this would be annoying, but mostly a non-issue; once I got the truck to the main roads, everything would be fine. But here in the good ol' NCR, the situation is more complicated.
There are no plows here, only salt trucks. So, main roads aren't so much "clear" as "incredibly slushy." There's a two-hour delay at the base, which I am utilizing to blog. I am going to take it nice and easy on the way in. I like my job, but I am not willing to die for it. Or crash my car for it.
---

I took the dog down to check and see how bad Route 1 was, and also grabbed my camera. Please enjoy these pictures of a snowy Virginia, and a puppy.

From MarsEdit Images

From Tenzing

From Tenzing

From Tenzing

From Tenzing

---

I met a man while walking the dog today. I mentioned that Tenzing was an Icelandic dog, and from Chicago, so he was used to snow. The man said, "that's why I figured the President didn't shut down the government today!"

Along with all the other activities, the Obama administration ushers in a new era of shutting up and dealing with the weather.

2 comments:

Krishva said...

Obama is not scared of snow because he and Tenzing are from the same place: Chicago.

Anonymous said...

Whoozza cute puppy? Whoozza cute puppy? Hey! We had snow in Atlanta, and everyone stayed home today. Happy to see Ft. B. has enough golf courses.