Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day (Baby)

Hello, young lovers.

In case you missed it, I made history this evening when I live-tweeted my romantic dinner for two with Claire. You can relive the magic below.

At restaurant; in finery. http://twitpic.com/1h4dc
---
elecray7k Appetizers: BLT mac'n cheese gnocchi, duck spring rolls. http://twitpic.com/1h4ek
---
Salmon with spaetzel and artichoke purée; beef tenderloin on mashed potatoes over steamed spinach w/fried onions http://twitpic.com/1h4wn
---
Champagne sorbet, and champagne with rosepetal sorbet. http://twitpic.com/1h5ec
---

Our escpades did generate some response. This from pal-Kris:
krishva @elecray7k Oh heavens that sounds delicious.

And this from pal-Justin:
ExploderFace @elecray7k Amazing live-tweeting of a romantic dinner out on the town! It's almost like I'm there with you guys!

---

The restaurant in question is called Evening Star, and it is easily the best place in town. Possibly one of the best places in the NCR. The food is certainly gourmet quality, but comes at reasonable prices and healthy helpings. You certainly don't feel ripped off when you eat here.

Here's the menu for tonight's meal.
"BLT" Mac & Cheese
Spinach Gnocchi, Tomato Concasse, Apple Wood Smoked Bacon, Caramelized Onions, Triple Truffle Cream

Duck Spring Rolls
House Cured & Braised Duck, Caramel Garlic Basil Sauce

Pan Seared Salmon Filet
Crispy Spaetzle, Artichoke Puree, Fennel Choke Salad

Grilled Beef Tenderloin
Roasted Garlic and Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes, Sauteed Spinach, Rosemary and Parmesan Onion Crisps, Bordelaise Sauce


Evening Star is very close to where we live in Del Ray, and is actually where Keith and I went to dinner before we even knew I was going to move here. Fate, I tell you!

The beef tenderloin is truly fantastic, and probably the best steak to ever cross these lips (the giant piece of meat once prepared for me by Jan Wagner excluded). Usually, the salmon is served on a ever-changing market setup, but tonight's was excellent -- if static.

Oddly enough, a place this classy only has one beer on tap: Pabst Blue Ribbon. I wonder if Frank, from Blue Velvet, is one of the investors?

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Evening Star has a deal with the wine shop next door, which provides a truly prodigious selection of wine. I stick to the beers, though.
---

Claire got me this for V-Day. It's awesome!
From MarsEdit Images

There was a first edition of this book in my house growing up, but it has been long out of print until recently. Fabulous!
---

I'm not really big on this holiday, but I do wanna say that my family and friends are so dear to me. Love to you all, and happy Valentine's Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesone V-Day gift... but tweeting your date? Max NO BAD MAX BAD!

"Nobody fucks with The Jesus!"