Wednesday, September 10, 2008

In Which This Becomes A Photoblog, and I Wax Narcissistic About My Crappy Haircut

Everyone that knows me will tell you that beneath this cool, calm, plaid, rugged exterior is a very vain little man.
I like to look good, but more than that: I like to look good while appearing to not care, and seem to have no control over my appearance.
---
With tomorrow's interview, and another on Monday, I decided that I really needed a haircut. It was getting pretty mullety back there, so I printed out a picture of my first big haircut (the same used as my Blogger Profile) and went over to Mak's Place.

I will never go there again.

Initially, I chose it because of my good experiences with the Aveda School. While very clean, professional, and well run, I have come away exceedingly unimpressed. The woman who did my hair didn't listen to what I said (conversation or otherwise), and as I result I have "4-Years At A Marketing Firm Hair."
---
Part of the problem is that she really didn't say what she was going to do, or ask what I thought of the progress. Our conversation about the hair consisted of her looking at the picture, and saying "So you want it short, but not too short?"

"Exactly," I said. "I like to keep it shaggy."

That is not what happened on my head.

I guess I am spoiled from the Aveda school, where they constantly ask you about the progress and always show you how it's coming along. I've surely been spoiled by the Aveda School prices, because I was not expecting this haircut to run me $45. Adding insult to injury, the haircut lady was "shocked that I have such thick hair" and cut it so short that I actually need some hair-product crap to keep it from turning into "Light Bulb Hair" or "Straddling A Van De Graaff Generator Hair."
---
From Hair

From Hair

From Hair

From Hair

4 comments:

Misoks said...

I think it's mostly okay except that around the sideburn area they cut it a little on the short side, resulting in a pudding-bowl-esque look. I think it looks okay otherwise, and pretty good in the last picture. Maybe the key was losing the evil genius goatee.

I think you'll feel better about it once you get used to it. That's what usually happens with me.

Anonymous said...

you look gorgeous, but I agree with dan, don't regrow the mustache

you have a great face, you shouldn't hide under the hair, keep it short

Jamie said...

Wow-I think it's great! I mean you could go for a little shaggier look I guess but I think the short hair is really, really good. It's weird because you look like an actual responsible adult. I agree with all of the previous comments about your facial hair. Don't hide the beauty!

Anonymous said...

It's scarey because it doesn't look like you, but I definitely vote for the last picture.

So what happened at the interviews?