Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Storms and Elevators

Last night it stormed something awful. I didn't hear any thunder, but I saw some lightning flashes that lit up the sky from one end to the other like a sickly green dawn in a flash-bulb. Last night, I had two concerns. Firstly, that a tornado would come and kill me while I slept. Secondly, that because I would have to sleep with the window closed (the wind was wrecking my fashionable drop-ceiling) I would have a very uncomfortable night.
When I woke up in the morning, the world looked wet but stable. The first thing that threw me was the elevator. The call light was on, and hot to the touch. Thus, indicating that the elevator had been called since sometime in the night and had yet to arrive.
After negotiating my bike down the 6 flights of stairs, I saw that the lobby was dark and the elevators sitting lit and inviting, yet vacant.
Upon my return after work, I found the lobby in the same mess it was hours before except now with signs declaring the building closed due to lack of electricity and water.
After ascending the stairs (again, with my bike) I assessed my apartment. The water was off, but the internet and power worked fine. This was 3 hours ago, and we now sort of have water. It's got bad pressure and smells kind of like old cheese and butter which has been left under your porch all season and discovered on a wet fall day.
It's not really so bad. At least I could flush down a poo.
Tonight, I am eating out.
For anyone interested, tomorrow marks the beginning of the Ann Arbor art fair. I've never been, so it should at least prove to be distracting in some way.
The late great Phillip Eddy will be joining me here in my humble, waterless, abode come this weekend. Hopefully, things will be a little more together by then!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're a late great of Rock N' Roll.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.