Sunday, February 10, 2008

Yelling Outside of the Saudi Embassy

Claire and I have made it in to Washington D.C. and have begun our takeover plans.
Keith, my friend from Gargoyle days past, met us at the airport and has been our guide in this strange place of towering white stone. He's also letting us stay at his place for free.

Keith, we love you.

The feeling around D.C. is a very strange one. Last night we wandered the town, having parked the car over at the Watergate. How cool is it to say that? Very.

Many of my friends have either lived or worked in the capital, but this is my first time here. Aside from a brief lay-over on a 13-hour train ride.

I feel very strange about D.C.. So far, everything seems very clean, and very empty. Claire describes it as as pretend city: oddly empty, and without the kind of places and people that you might find in a place like Chicago or New York. Though that might be because of the areas we have seen.

There is something strange about the area. I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps its the positively balmy weather.

Today, we're going to see some museums -- where Claire plans to make her livelihood -- and then meet with Claire's dear family friend Lisa. Tomorrow is campus tours and an evening flight out.

Maybe I'll have the place figured out by then. Or maybe it's just too strange for this simple midwest boy.

No comments: