Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Awesome Sins!

In what I hope to make a regular feature on this blogmachine, I present to you my first recorded AWESOME SIN.

Last night, my friends and I planned to go to the movies. A Shot In The Dark was playing at the Michigan Theatre and I knew that I would be hungry by the end of the movie. I stopped in at the White Market and grabbed some vittles - I was out of food anyway.

Now, one of my (many) secret shames is a particular fondness for canned, jellied, cranberry sauce. At some point in my youth, it ceased to be just a seasonal indulgence. With the knowledge that it was available all year round, I occasionally bought (and consumed) whole cans at all odd times of the year. As a child, it was difficult to finish an entire can - I often got sick of it after half a can.

Cut to 10 years later, and me standing in the White Market. I know that I will want a snack to take with me. I know I'll be breaking the rules - so I might as well go all out.

We arrive a few minutes late for the movie (thankfully, before the opening animation). As soon as the musical titles begin, I whip out my can opener. I've got the thing open before the producers are listed. Even though I've brought three clean spoons, my friends are disgusted by the idea of eating it straight out of the can. I dine alone, but very satisfied.

Biblical Sins: Gluttony
Societal Sins: Taking "outside food" to the theatre
Absolution: Recycled the can

STATUS: ABSOLVED

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

TRUE CONFESSIONS: I too have sinned (repeatedly, in movie theaters...it's the principle of the thing.)
Hope you were wearing the original sins bracelet I sent you while you snarfed it down. Was it Anger or Gluttony? You ARE absolved by recycling, and justified by the outrageous price of movie goodies (one of my pet peeves). But bringing the can opener is a bit much. My Advice - wear your giant coat with many pockets, bring twist-off top bottles rather than pop-top cans of soda (or wait for a noisy scene to open), try prepackaged cranberries, goobers from the drug store or micro popcorn (requires large purse or backback)...do NOT put in plastic bag to cover scent - it gets soggy. Just wear lots of perfume. I hope this does NOT mean you are going to work your way through the other deadly sins!

Anonymous said...

Okay, your sin story was compelling but we know a diversion when we see one... has the contest winner been chosen or not?