Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Ga-Ga Ga-Ga Ga-Ga

Here's something pretty nifty that we covered in my Intro To Modern English class.
It's called the McGurk affect, and it demonstrates the link betwen observation and hearing.
Here's what to do.

1. Watch the Movie
2. Note what sounds the man is saying (it should sound like da-da)
3. Watch the movie again, but this time close your eyes.
4. You should now hear him saying Ba-Ba.

WHY?
In reality the man was mouthing the sounds "ga-ga," but that was overdubbed with a recording of "ba-ba." The result of viewing 'ga-ga' and hearing 'ba-ba' is that your brain has to make some interpretations, resulting in you perceiving 'da-da.'
Remember! We don't really see, or hear things as they actually are!

3 comments:

Mylz said...

my god... thats awesome!

Krishva said...

Oh man that is RAD

The human brain is amazing!

Unknown said...

It is awesome! And Amazing! And WOW-ing!
I had heard this before in my linguistics, and my psych class, but to see it really work is something new for me!

PS.
Miles, I am glad you finally got a picture for Blogger.