Thursday, July 09, 2009

Wilco Wednesday

I went out and saw the Wilco documentary I am Trying to Break Your Heart with Mike and his friend Fiona last night. It was one of those outdoor movies-projected-on-a-big-inflatable-screen things.

Jeff Tweedy is huuuuge. on Twitpic

I had seen the film before, but it was a nice reason to get out and see some more of DC. I'd never been in the NE before, and while it's certainly not as ritzy and polished as most of the NW is it was alright.

Unfortunately, Wilco (the band) was actually playing not far from my house the same night. Double-unfortunately, Sonic Youth was playing back to back shows in DC. Because of my ignorance, I had tickets to see neither act.

Looking around the crowd at the movie, we figured that these were all the people that couldn't get tickets to the Wilco show. Though some of them also probably fell into the category of considering themselves too old to go to concerts. I also heard rumblings of the relative benefits of Wilco v. Uncle Tupelo, but that's an argument for another day.

For the record, it's a good movie. I'd like to say that you don't have to care about Wilco to like it, but there's so much concert footage that you have already dig them to care. It does, however, chronicle an interesting time in the history of what would become a surprisingly significant and successful album.

But oh well, it was a nice night: the weather was great, the movie is still good, and sometimes it's just nice to sit on the grass and not have any responsibilities for a while.
---

I'll be heading out for a quick stint in NY starting this weekend. On the docket is to box a male model, confess my undying love for former roommate Justin, see a play by other former roommate Hyatt, and lick the New Yorker offices. Long-time pal Kris will probably draw on my face with a permanent marker while I stare blankly at the Carnegie Deli, and mid-term pal Cathy will be cooler than me by interning for Conde Nast.

All this and more, in the future.

No comments: