Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Time to Blog

You know you've neglected your blog when you receive emails from family members asking not "how are you? when are you coming home?" but, "when is your blog going to update?"

It's true; I've been unfair and unkind to you, my gentle readers. But I assure you that my silence has not been out of dislike for you, or out of a hatred for the medium of Blog. No, my reticence has one source: work.

On the job, much like at school, I didn't really feel like there was anything worth writing about. However, I have had a change of perspective that I hope will be made plain in the coming days.
---

Careful readers will recall that I am currently employed at SAIC Integrated Communications. Recently, I had the pleasure of decorating my office. I'd share pictures, but the security policy forbids me from taking any. So, if you'll just have to trust me when I tell you that I have a large, golden shrine to the Zarathustra in my office.

Beyond that, I've put up a fantastic print of Bob Dylan by iconic 60's artist Peter Max.
7A0AC2AD-872C-40AF-989C-FCE8BD39B75C.jpg

It really ties the room together.

Also up is a color cartoon by Ben Katchor, whom I did not see when I didn't go to SPX a few weeks back. It tells the story of a man who, like me, has a small non-descript office. Unlike me, he has a mysterious pipe running through his office -- the undisclosed function of this eventually frustrates him to rash action.

Another thing I can't show you is the lovely picture of feet taken by Cathy Fisher, current Gargoyle editor. It's a lovely black and white photograph showing several feet perched around the rim of a plaster bucket containing many legos. It was taken in the Gargoyle office, and was actually, I think, not staged. I liked to believe that it represents teamwork. I might write "TEAMWORK" below it in striking, bold letters.

Lastly, I put up a small painting done by my long-time pal Kris Jacque. It was a Christmas gift from a while back. Being very colorful, I think it goes well with the Peter Max print.
31978296-BB5B-4F7B-A190-1063E7DB8D3F.jpg

Puppies make an office a better place.

That's all for now. Soon, I hope to have some family photos, pictures of Claire, and a wall-sized rasterbation of Iceland up on my wall.
---

Many of you have asked what Integrated Communications does. I sincerely doubt I have done an adequate job of explaining it. So, take some time and watch this video. It was written, directed, shot, edited and produced by IC on behalf of the US Marine Corps. It's a training film for the Casualty Assistance Call Officers. I have to say, it's very impressive.

FILM.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have many of your coworkers served in the armed forces?