Thursday, July 17, 2008

But Why Arizona?

I recently returned from a brief trip to Arizona. I'm sure that anyone watching the TwitterBox noticed that I was there, though I realized (a little belatedly) that I didn't explain to many people why I was there.

Claire (girlfriend) spent two summers at the Homol'ovi National park, working with UM Professeor Lisa Young. After those collective weeks of sweltering, scrubbing, scraping and learning the entirety of Southwestern Ceramic typologies, Claire produced an award-winning undergraduate thesis based on the data collected from two sites in the park.

One of the sites, HP36, is a pithouse village and was undergoing further excavation when we visited. Dr. young was kind enough to take us around and tell us what everything was, and give us a history of the area. This year's dig brought some very surprising results to light, but I fear that my ignorance on the subject will prevent me from describing them accurately.

Later on, we took a trip out to Creswell, where Claire did her digging and the other site used in her thesis. However, there was little to see since each site is back-filled at the end of the season in order to preserve it.

We were also in time for Suvoyuki Day at the park, where members of the Hopi Nation have various informational booths, crafts, and food available for gawking tourists like myself. The food was fantastic: pit roasted corn is amazing. I also purchased a Cricket-girl Kachina doll, and Claire received the admonishing Grandmother Kachina doll from her mother.

When outside the park, we stayed in Winslow -- home of the famed street corner where Don Henley "took it easy." He's bee immortalized with a bronze statue on main-street corner. Sadly, I was unable to carry out Mojo Nixon's instructions, as the statue was cordoned off due to construction.

However, if any of you happen to be passing through Winslow: EAT AT LA POSADA. It's a gorgeous old hotel by the train tracks, and has some of the best food I have ever eaten. (Protip: Order the Elk, and have chocolate-covered champagne grapes for dessert.)

Arizona


---

Some links I have been saving for you:

The NYTimes likes blimps, and so do I!

Save the Totoro Forest.

Surprisingly beautiful pictures of Japanese flood control gates.

No comments: