Monday, October 15, 2007

It Seemed Better in the Dark

I woke up at 4am today. I want that up front, since that might explain everything that happens from here on in.

A few days ago, my friends and I noticed a sign in the window of the local Border's. It announced the coming of acclaimed director Wes Anderson, who would be speaking and presenting a screening of his new film The Darjeeling Limited. My friends, Cathy and Zack planned to get into line very early this morning in order to get passes both to the film as well as the lecture/Q&A thing.

Zack, however, felt that the appeal of the director would be limited and decided to go home and try to get tickets a few hours before the presentation. Last night, Cathy convinced him of his folly.

This is where I come in.

I like Wes Anderson, and I think that his films are great. However, I saw no purpose in my going to see him speak. I had decided that my involvement would be limited to scoping out the venue the night before to see if a line was already forming. When Zack decided to come later, however, I offered to serve as a ringer -- to stand in line for him so that he could see Wes Anderson speak and I could see the movie.

The decision was made. I met Cathy outside Border's Books and Music around 4:10am, Monday.

3pm Monday : Zack should arrive in Ann Arbor
6pm Monday : Wes Anderson speaking event
7:15 pm Monday : Film screening

I don't know exactly how all this will go down. Judging how the line was this morning, I can't imagine that it will too awful.

Details as they develop.

PS.
I neglected to mention what I got from Writing as Business Symposium (apparently, it was a symposium).
Basically I learned that:

1. Copy Writing sounds like a good job
2. Advertising agencies hire english majors
3. "You are not reading enough."
4. "You are not writing enough."
5. You can get a job in the field without a graduate degree -- this was key. My current thinking is that I do not want to go to Grad School until I am sure what I want to do with the degree.

There was also an interesting, but less practical discussion, on the role of critics and reviewing. More on that, some other time.

No comments: